Tuesday, February 23, 2010

NZ finalist videos now online

The New Zealand Your Big Break film contest finalist videos are up! Check them out and decide which YOU think is the best and deserves to appear on American television! :-)

You can also see them on Facebook and share your positive thoughts there! Go with FB if you have the option, because it has hi-def versions and I am hearing reports that the contest website is running sluggishly, probably due to overload.

I have to admit - although I have a clear favorite for many reasons - I am really impressed by all five of the finalists. Directing a film is incredibly hard work and they each created something magical while maintaining unique and distinctive sytle.

1) write a script
2) fly to New Zealand
3) meet the casting director
4) make a shot list
5) location scouting
6) pick talent - in this case four actors - 1 on screen, 3 off
7) prop / art department scouting and meetings (vids on my FB page)
8) shoot the movie
9) edit the footage
10) sound
a) music
b) effects (foley)
c) record voice-overs
d) there was one more sound engineer, but I'm still sorting out which elements he was in charge of
11) final mixing of all the elements together
12) wait, wait, wait, wait, wait... until March 5!

I'll have to do a separate post where I give props to the other finalists, but for now I'll let you mull over the process above (and I'll have to check my notes to see if I missed anything.)

No comments:

Post a Comment