Sunday, February 7, 2010

New Zealand Adventure, Day 10 supplemental




Friday, 5-February-2010

I was allowed on the set today to see the final wrap. Not just allowed, but someone actually came down from the mountain with a 4-WD vehicle to pick up myself and the Catherine M. the Producer (Barrie O. is Exec Producer). That was an incredible experience and Kristi was fantastic in action, ordering people around and selecting shots and calling “cut.” I had a great time. I had several people go out of their way to tell me what a great job she had done and that they'd enjoyed working with her. That was very cool.

I saw the dailies (called “rushes”) for the day. Even though the RED ONE camera is entirely digital, the terminology is still in “reels.” The raw data is rushed into a QuickTime format so the director can review the dailys and flag the ones she likes best. This list was then passed to Park Road Post where those takes were pre-processed somehow to make them ready when Kristi arrived. Apparently the RED ONE captures an insane volume of data so converting them to a form that can then be edited is a time consuming process. All the other takes still exist in case the editing team wants them, it just requires extra processing. I have no idea what the process is.

THE DAILIES ARE AWESOME!! I wish I could leak them to you so you could enjoy them also, but you'll just have to trust me.

Earlier in the week, Kristi and I had been out walking. She was talking through some ideas and her nerves, so I picked up a stone and wrote my name on it for her to carry for good luck. (I'm a romantic that way.) The final scene of the film includes a 20-foot tall “YES” spelled out in rocks. Kristi had put my stone in the collection so I could “make an appearance” in the film. (She's a romantic that way.) In the hurry to move onto the next shot, the stone got left behind. Kristi was really apologetic during the wrap as she explained my stone was there, but had been left behind. Five minutes later, during the wrap, a crew member (Kevin) came up to me and asked “Are you Patric? Is this your stone?”). I laughed and explained the story. He had been packing up the stone stones to return them to the quarry (because you can't just go about leaving 20-foot stone letters in a field) and found one with a name on it. He asked one of the other crew (Kerry) and she laughed and said “I do! And he spells his name that way and he's right over there.”) Anyway, that's short story is now part of the larger story of Kristi's soon-to-be-uber-incredible film and experience she'll always remember.

I also met Rajneel, one of the other finalists and we talked for about 10 minutes. Really nice guy. He has done a few self-funded films and some music videos, but never anything on this scale before. It was really funny to hear him express many of the same doubts and points of surreal confusion that Kristi had expressed a few days before. “I don't know how to choose a costume! I never had choices before because I had no budget. We always just told the actor – bring something that fits you and is blue!” I wish him well with his project (but, Kristi is still going to kick his butt.)

We watched the day's rushes again. Kristi had a great DP, who was able to help her bring the most of each scene and each shot. Dan M. (the talent) also does a great job emoting. I'll see if I can pirate some of the scenery vids to float here or on FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment