Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New Zealand Adventure, Day 15

Wednesday, 10-Feb-2010, 5:45 PM, NZ local time

I had heard said, but never gave it much thought, how incredibly much energy is required to say nothing at all in a blog.

Within a six block range of the Duxton, I have so far discovered more mom-and-pop eateries and clothing boutiques than I can count, four used bookstores, four adult stores, a huge comic shop, and two anime/geek toy shops (I would have said one, but tripped over a second this afternoon). There are also two grocery stores (I've only been to one, meant to get to the second today, but seem to have come down with a crushing bit of exhaustion and needed a nap instead), and six convenience stores that I can remember. Oh, and several museums of different size, two leather/shoe repair shops (one of which I've dropped a new belt for Kristi so it can be re-sized), etc., etc., etc. In other words, I'm in the heart of the city.

I think this part of Wellington has more small-town life than Seattle and New York City combined. I've been in Seattle, New York and San Francisco, and when I think back on those cities I feel like most of the old small businesses have been displaced by one flavor of chain or another. Sure, there are chains here, like Dick Smith's (think of Best Buy, only smaller), the Warehouse, New World (grocery) and the inescapable Subway, McDonalds, Burger King and Starbucks (I've tried to escape them, it cannot be done), but there is literally only one of each within the radius I have walked and they are actually lost amid so many more interesting stores.

Arty Bee's used books - these guys have a lot of floor space and reminds me of Half Price Books back home.

Pegasus Books Bouquinerie - great little shop. Obviously a mom-and-pop labor of love. Reminds me of the place in Puyallup on 112th near the South Hill Mall. Great people. I had been hunting for the local post office, and gotten four answers from three people before I asked here at Pegasus. Not only did the husband and wife team give me excellent directions, but Mark (the husband) actually walked with me, guiding me the three blocks to the PostShop so I would actually find it that time. So, just for fun, shoot them an email and tell them you think they're cool :-) Tell them the husband of the YBBC finalist sent you. (Yes, I did tell yet another random stranger that I'm in NZ because my wife is making a movie for Barrie Osborne! That never gets old and the locals actually think it is very cool and wish Kristi the best. I'm building a font of positive energy here so she sweeps the award haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment