Wednesday, February 21, 2018

MP - Lion's Roar

Heroes Unlimited, from Palladium Books, has a power called "Animal Abilities - Big Cats." It very much resembles Mighty Protectors' "Animal/Plant Abilities" (which simply makes sense as "bundle of abilities inspired by a kind of animal" is just an obvious opportunity).

One of the features of the HU power is "Can roar like a lion, and be heard 1.5 miles away." A real lion's roar is an incredibly impressive sound, and fits beautifully into a superhero role-playing game.

(Model Lex of MadeYewLook)

I was trying to model this in MP, which - like VnV before it, has some nice "catch-all" mechanisms, to easily build entirely new powers, which is actually kind of rare in a point-buy game.

My initial gut feeling was this qualified as a (10 CP) Physical Ability, and move on. But, then I thought I'd actually try to adapt an existing power (which I've tried to do with other point-buy games, and the radius on "audio illusion" was so bloody expensive I always simply gave up).

So, I looked at the MP power list and realized "Communicators" already existed, with several of the features built in, and beat the Hell out of that other model (see above).

Roar was modeled after Communicators: Base Cost (5), Adjusted Range (1.5 miles) (-2.5), Global (already built in) (+0), Not Gear (+5), One-Way (-2.5), Unlimited Battery (+5), Miscellaneous (it's sound waves, not radio waves, no receiver required, but requires medium to travel thru) (+0), Miscellaneous (Single Message) (inspired by Emotion Control) (-5) (final cost 5 CP)

So, in a nutshell, looks like my gut served me pretty well, but doing the actual work served me even better.

Also note, that in this case, I'm treating the "Communicator receiver" as basic hearing.  In essence, the "Communicator" broadcasts "Audible Sound," instead of "Radio Waves" (q.v. Heightened Senses.)





No comments:

Post a Comment