Wednesday, October 18, 2017

MP - They Might Be Characters

Back around 1997 to 1999 I created the five volumes of They Might Be Characters  - stubs of sourcebooks of villains, loosely inspired by the compilations published for VnV by FGU, and for Champions by Hero Games.  The five books are still available on my website.

Back around 1997 to 1999, I had just launched by website - www.patric.net - and was having fun publishing content. I was very active with the forums on WebRPG, also.  Jeff Dee had just released Advanced VnV on his website. I got hooked up with some online groups, and we did VnV-based PBEM gaming.

Mighty Protectors 1e dropped in 2017, and I've been nostalgic for my old work on TMBC - I'd always meant to finish it up, but never seemed to get around to it.  Converting the characters to MP is a great exercise in working with conversations and the MP rules, and it's fun to revisit the old gang.








Some other interesting "fun facts":
  • The books were originally written using WordPerfect, and converted to PDF using Adobe Acrobat.  On patric.net, you see two versions of each book - "pix" and "no pix" - back in 2000, there were still a lot of people using dial-up modems (that's less than 1/10th Megabit to you young 'uns), so having a "no pix" version was standard practice;
  • A few years ago, I jumped thru some huge hoops to convert them to RTF, then to OpenOffice ODS format, just so I would have the actual text available, if I ever wanted to revise them.  The images mostly got lost (big surprise, right?);
  • Today, I'm just copying and pasting from the PDF to gdocs, where I do the scratch work, then paste again into Blogger.  My, my, but copy-paste has come such a long way in just a few years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment