Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's the eyeballs, stupid

119 degrees Fahrenheit. Why do people voluntarily live in these conditions?

We arrived safely in Palm Springs. So far, it's pretty, but I've only seen the airport, really. I must say, it's the only airport I can remember where you have to actually leave the building to talk from the terminal to the baggage claim. It was a very pretty walk, enclosed on the sides by walls and decorations. It felt very much like a theme park.

Now, the title of this post - they say it's a "dry heat". What that means at 119 degrees Fahrenheit is "your eyeballs dry out the instant the heat hits you." At least, my eyeballs do, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here are some random views from our hotel, to give you that sense of "hot". Not, this area was previously classified as a desert - meaning no liquid water. But, apparently so many plants have been hauled in, including the irrigation and water to keep them alive, that it has been reclassified as sub-tropical. (Our source was the hotel shuttle driver, who has been here for fourteen years, so I'm inclined to accept what he says on this subject.)

No comments:

Post a Comment